MK230 - Unit3: "Chicken of Sea" Case Study
Case Study Discussion Questions
- Discuss the consumer decision making process for a product such as canned/packaged tuna and the response hierarchy model this is most likely to be applicable in the purchase of this product.
- Discuss the role integrated marketing communications plays in the marketing of canned/packaged tuna for a company such as Chicken of the Sea International. How might the company use the various IMC tools as part of its marketing program?
- Discuss how Chicken of the Sea’s marketing personnel and advertising agency might evaluate the appropriateness of using Jessica Simpson as a spokesperson for the company and whether she is a good fit for the brand.
- Discuss the pros and cons of Chicken of the Sea International hiring Jessica Simpson as a spokesperson for the company. Can the company afford to hire her and spend the money on TV advertising to use her effectively?
- What would you do if you were Don George? Would you recommend that the company hire Simpson as a spokesperson? Why or why not?
Case Study Discussion Answers
- The consumers making process for a product such as canned/packaged tuna varies depending on previous exposure such as eating it as a child and growing up using it (regular use) or being introduced to via a commercial or ad and the consumer trying it out (trial). The response hierarchy model that is most likely to be applicable in the purchase of this product is the Innovation-Adoption Model. That model starts with awareness and proceeds into interest / evaluation, then trail and adoption.
- After taking a look at the "Chicken Of The Sea" website, I see that they use numerous Integrated Marketing Communications. They have commercials on their YouTube channel, updates of all sorts on their twitter and a avatar creator on their website to Mer-Yourself. Each of these opinions covers a specific demographic and I believe create a great marketing strategy.
- The marketing personnel and advertising agency might consider if attracting a younger crowd by using Jessica Simpson as a spokesperson would scare away older long-turn consumers. They might also consider how it will attract more of a male audience to their product.
- Some "pros" of using Jessica Simpson as spokesperson are exposure to a younger demographic, at the time she was topical and because of her comments, she is linked to the product. Some cons are the older demographic will not be accepting of her, as well as her fame might run out during the contracted time. I believe the company could afford to take the risk and spend the money effectively.
- If were Don George I would recommend hiring Jessica Simpson because she was a very popular celebrity at the time and they already had a built in connect to her, I believe it would have be unwise not to bring her in to be a representative of the company.
Links: "Chicken Of The Sea"